Friday, June 17, 2011

Girls...

There has got to be a time in every girls life when she looks in the mirror and is genuinely happy with what she see's. So my question is, when does that time come? For as long as I can remember, I have always found flaws in the mirror. Why is it that girls can't just accept the good and the bad for what it is and then leave it alone? I had a talk with my mother in law about this the other day and she said that it took her 62 years to get to a point where she realized that it is OK to be who you are, physical flaws and all. Gosh. 62 years is a long time of picking yourself apart. I exercise, I eat healthy (for the most part), I get enough sleep and try to take good care of myself. Yet the mirror always shows someone bigger than what I want. It always shows someone with less than perfect skin, thin hair, and a post-baby body. One of these days I am going to figure out how to look at mirror and not see flaws, but instead just see me - and love it. Ugh... the life of a girl.

3 comments:

Derek and Amanda said...

This post is absolutely perfect. I wonder this myself. When I have worse acne, I then think my acne free face was perfect, before I lost a bunch of hair from birth control, I then thought my thick hair was perfect, before i gained 15 pounds, I then thought my last weight was perfect. It's terrible. I want to LOVE me. I wonder this same thing all of the time. Something that helps me is to think, at least i don't (fill in the blank). I think you're absolutely beautiful! I've always thought that! I always wanted your eyes an hair. I LOVE them. K this is way to long. I hope you guys are doing well!

Jeni said...

We are definitely our own worst critics. And even though I know, I KNOW!, I am so much more than my outward appearance, I tend to gauge a large portion of my worth by how I feel about my face, hair, and body. It's crazy!!!!
HOWEVER, I'm better about it now that I was when I was younger. Which is pretty funny because I had more of the things I valued about myself then, but I appreciated it less.
Basically, I try to tell myself that I'm in my prime now- it's never going to get better than this, so I'd better enjoy it while it lasts! Even if I'm terribly imperfect.

Sorry I wrote my own blog post in your comments! :)

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Amen sista. You speak the truth. What's sad is that our husbands are usually so shocked when we think or say those things about ourselves...and sometimes I feel like Chris is just lying to make me feel better...(sounds like a paranoid crazy person to me). Acceptance would be nice, let me know when you discover the truth!